Here’s our top ten herbs that we grow (more or less in order of preference) outdoors unless specified:
- Garlic – … though some may argue this is not an herb. We consume way too much of this so perhaps it’s more of a “grain” 😉 Our favorite and hardiest variety is Kettle River.
- Basil (indoors or in cold frame at the coast). We go through tons of basil as we love Italian food. We have African Blue and the regular basil we bought in a pot at Trader Joe’s (still yielding leaves after 7 months!)
- Chives – Think potatoes, soup, salads!
- Parsely – Italian (preferred) and Triple Curl
- Rosemary – Fabulous for poultry and lamb.
- Tarragon – French & Mexican. Great with artichokes.
- Oregano – Sprinkle in pizza stick dough!
- Thyme – Delicious on pizza!
- Sage – Use sparingly for poultry dishes; great for veggies like zucchini.
- Marjoram – This will be sprinkled on our frenched lamb rack on Christmas Day 🙂
We’d love to hear your favorites and what dishes you use them for. Let us know!